How to become an ungleich system engineer » History » Revision 1
How to become an ungleich system engineer¶
This document is IN PROGRESS.
If you are interested in the skill set a typical engineer at ungleich needs to have or if you want to improve your skill set for being able to apply at as system engineer, this document is for you.
If you are fluent in either Linux or BSD, you should easily find your way. If you are not yet, we recommend:
- Install your own computer with Ubuntu (any version)
- Get used to it
- Wipe Ubuntu, replace it with Arch Linux
- Use it, break it
- Switch to Devuan
- Understand apt & friends
- (optional) Use another machine and install Centos
- Observe the differences to all other operating systems you tried before
Networking / IPv6¶
You know how to separate networks, you are fluent in IPv6 (hint: man sipcalc) and you know some basics of routing ()
Some questions to check your knowledge:
- Why does the gateway has to be in the same network?
- How do IPv6 hosts get their IP addresses?
- Why is there an fe80:... default gateway in IPv6?
You can install, configure and maintain ceph clusters on IPv6 only networks.
- Take 3 hosts (if you don't have 3 computers, you can get 3 affordable VMs at IPv6OnlyHosting
- Why does ceph need managers?
- How to move an OSD to another host?