Preparing for matrix-as-a-service
Once matrix is deployed at ungleich:
- Build & document MaaS deployment and maintenance pipeline.
- Wiki page.
- A staging environment will be required to test upgrades.
- 1 or 2 blog entries about it? First one maybe a bit more as introduction, why we want to support matrix and second one more about the technical details? (quoting Nico here)
- Be mentionned in "This Week In Matrix" (Weekly matrix news) and on https://matrix.org/docs/projects/hosting/
- We should emphasize on the decent/green (hydro/old building/second-hand servers/...) factor, as I expect it will interest some (sub-)communities.
- Upstream `__matrix_*` cdist types.
- Investigate the application services we could offer.
Feel free to put this task in another project if it doesn't fit here.
Updated by Timothée Floure 15 days ago
We can do-it in a second-stage, witout a TURN server VoIP might or might not work depending on the situation.
Note that coturn is easy to deploy: https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse/blob/master/docs/turn-howto.md
Updated by Timothée Floure 11 days ago
- Synapse and Matrix Cdist types are (almost) OK.
- I missed one small thing in my __postgres upstream cdist patch, which still have to be fixed.
- Early documentation on https://redmine.ungleich.ch/projects/open-infrastructure/wiki/The_ungleich_Matrix_infrastructure and https://redmine.ungleich.ch/projects/open-infrastructure/wiki/Ungleich_Matrix-as-a-Service_(MaaS)
- Mattebridge Cdist type is OK and can easily be offered with MaaS.
- matrix.ungleich.ch deployed, bridged with chat.ungleich.ch
- We have to decide the matrix-mattermost channel map (= what do we want to bridge?).
- matrix-staging.ungleich.ch is deployed and will be used for testing.
- I will try to write the matrix/MaaS blog post on wednesday in the train to Glarus.
- There is no monitoring, I will have to discuss with Nico Schottelius and write some documentation before I can do that.
- We will need a visual for https://matrix.org/docs/projects/hosting/
- matrix-turn.ungleich.ch is allocated (v4+v6) but does not run coturn yet.
- We need a pricing model.