Investigate matrix.ungleich.ch slowness
Added by Timothée Floure about 2 years ago.
Updated over 1 year ago.
matrix.ungleich.ch is so slow it becomes unusable, I'm currently investigating and:
- Disabling Presence
- Increase cache sizes
- Configure Synapse with multiple workers
- Status changed from New to In Progress
I spend most of my morning playing around with this synapse issues. I moved some processing out of the main process and increased a bit the cache but there's still high latency on registering new events: in-depth investigation including a deeper look at what's going with synapse's internals and potential slowness with PGSQL are required.
I'd also like to:
- Revamp the whole monitoring pipeline which is utterly broken right now: autodiscovery with consul and a monitoring LAN sounds nice in theory, but implies too many flying components in practice. I want to drop it in favor of good old cdist-managed static configuration files. We also need some alerts (= instead of ranting customers..).
- Clean up the synapse type (written in my early cdist days ~ 1 year ago...) and merge it into cdist-contrib.
- Add the multi-worker setup to cdist. It doesn't matter if we add more core with a single synapse process...
- Make our internal cdist manifest more concise, it's somewhat messy right now.
This means a few work-days. Your thoughts @Nico Schottelius?
Note: I commented out the cdist config for our matrix HS, since the changes I applied this morning were all done by hand.
+ write/deploy and run some DB cleanup tools, since it's growing exponentially...
- Blocks Task #8888: Meta-Issue for Matrix late-winter 2021 cleanup added
- Status changed from In Progress to Closed
Also available in: Atom